Saturday

The Brothers Karamazov

I've been reading the Bros K this break.  It took me a good long while to get into it, but now that I am, I just want to read, and do pretty much nothing else.  It's strange, though.  It really quite catchy, actually, and I always want to read it, but it is not one of those books that calls me back when I'm doing something else.  It's just interesting while I'm reading it. Which is probably why I'm still less that 400 pages into it.  I had hoped to finish it before I went back to school, but it looks like I'm going to be reading it on Sundays and study-breaks for a while still.
One thing that I especially like about this book is the way Elder Zosima loves the world and people.  In one place he tells his friends and fellow monks:
Love to throw yourself down on the earth and kiss it.  Kiss the earth and love it, tirelessly, insatiably, love all men, love all things, seek this rapture and ecstasy.  Water the earth with the tears of your joy, and love those tears.  Do not be ashamed of this ecstasy, treasure it, for it is a gift from God, a great gift, and it is not given to many, but to those who are chosen.
Isn't that a great passage? I absolutely love it.  And there are so many good spots in the book that I'm pretty sure I'm going to be posting random notes from it for a while.  But for now- I need to go feed my dog and enjoy the warmth that has changed our winter into spring's likeness.  The sun's shining and the world outside my room is absolutely lovable.  But I won't be throwing myself down to kiss the mud and the ice that is still covering the ground.

1 comment:

  1. I've been wondering about trying to pick this up for awhile... Looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete