Last night I went to sing at the Good Samaritan nursing home. It's been a good while since I've been there, what with Christmas break and being super duper busy the week before school ended- about six weeks, I guess. We sang a number of hymns and psalms, lasting about an hour, and then just visited with the people.
I met two really sweet women- Audrey and Velma- (I'm writing their names down in hopes that I'll remember them next week) who, quite concernedly told me about their friend almost falling out of her wheel chair when she tried to get up. And then they told me about the churches they went to before coming to Good Sam. Velma said she'd been going to the same church for a long time, then proceeded to tell me that she and her husband were married there 66 years ago! I was impressed. They were such lovely ladies.
I also met an old woman who reminded me SO much of my grandma that I just wanted to sit on the chair next to her and visit. And she couldn't remember what a lot of words meant, which made our conversation an adventure. She held my hand throughout the whole conversation and even kissed it before I left, telling me that she was 'going you out' into the world 'like that, to do'. It felt as I imagine the apostles felt when Jesus sent them out into the world. It was good. And so sweet.
And even though I hadn't realized it before, I had missed those sweet, attentive faces. Those feeble hands around my own hand, those smiling faces as they heard us singing about Jesus, and a crown of thorns and the way some of them sing along, eyes bright, to the songs they've known for so long. And I love those people.
No comments:
Post a Comment