Friday

Raking Gravel

At Disputatio today Mr. N.D. Wilson spoke.  He encouraged us to keep working at school- even when it was hard.  Or- especially when it's hard? Anyways, he likened it to his childhood and how he and his father would rake gravel when they had nothing to do on the house they were building.  It was SO good and so encouraging! I hadn't realized until today that I had kind of forgotten some of the reasons I am here at NSA.  I am here to make a difference in the world.
That's right.  I am here to be a world-changer.  I'm not a girl going to college to 'find a guy' or a girl who is at college just until that guy comes along, wanting and waiting to be 'just a mom.'
 It could be that I will be a mom.  It could be that ten years from now I'll be toting kids in both arms and struggling to keep the sand off the floor and the laundry folded.  But I won't be 'just a mom'.  I'll be a sword sharpener.  An arrow-crafter.
It could be that I'll be a great- well, something great.  Maybe I'll write novels and articles about random little things like leaves and piles of dirt or drifted black snow.  Maybe I'll magically overcome my nervousness of speaking in front of people and give long beautiful speeches about smart things.
I don't know what I'll do with my life.  Except that I will be living it out, endeavoring to glorify the Glorified in everything that I do.
And that is why I'm at NSA.  To rake gravel, to grow strong in what I'm doing here, in order to be the kind of person who will continue to rake gravel.

1 comment:

  1. I like this, " I'm not a girl going to college to 'find a guy' or a girl who is at college just until that guy comes along, wanting and waiting to be 'just a mom.'" because obviously that's a stupid idea. And you're much smarter than that :-)

    ReplyDelete